The North Carolina Industrial Commission recently announced the appointment of Meredith R. Henderson as Executive Secretary. Executive Secretary Henderson’s appointment is effective February 28, 2011. Secretary Henderson began her work with the Industrial Commission in 2005 working as a Special Deputy Commissioner. In 2008, she went began work as a law clerk for then Chair of the Industrial Commission Pamela T. Young. Secretary Henderson received a Bachelor of Arts degree from N.C. State University in 1993, and in 2002 graduated from the University of North Carolina School of Law. After law school Meredith clerked for Chief Judge John C. Martin of the North Carolina Court of Appeals. She then practiced law in Raleigh, North Carolina, primarily on NC workers’ compensation claims and business contract litigation, before beginning her work with the NC Industrial Commission.
The North Carolina Industrial Commission is charged with administering workers’ compensation claims in North Carolina. The Industrial Commission’s Executive Secretary acts in a quasi-judicial capacity, providing administrative review of cases not pending for hearing before a Deputy Commissioner or the Full Commission.
Issues frequently determined initially by the Executive Secretary include:
- Approval of Compromise Settlement Agreements (also called “clincher agreements”)
- Distribution of third-party settlements
- Disputes between the parties regarding medical treatment in NC workers’ comp cases
- Form 24 Applications to Terminate Compensation
- Form 23 Applications to Reinstate Compensation
- Discovery issues and disputes between the parties
- Motions to require timely payment of compensation
- Motions for the Removal of a Rehabilitation Professional
- Motions to Approve the appointment of a Guardian ad Litem in a NC workers’ compensation case
- Motions to Approve Additional Medical Treatment
The Executive Secretary also provides a broad range of administrative services to the Industrial Commission including supervising Special Deputy Commissioners, training, and providing information about workers’ compensation claims to the public.
Kevin Bunn is a Raleigh, NC, area workers’ comp lawyer. Kevin is a Board Certified Expert in North Carolina Workers’ Compensation Law. He offers free consultations to injured North Carolina workers.